I have written about the many plugins I use in the past. I would be lying if I didn’t say that I used a lot of them. But there are a few that I have singled out as the most important. The reason being that I have seen complaints on other blogs in the comments section about this and that.
The Top 10 Must Have WordPress Plugins
- Akismet – Many bloggers think they know the reason for having this. They also think that it’s worthless because they end up with a ton of spam comments to moderate. But the fact is that this plugin should never be used alone. I use it paired with the #2 plugin below, and I completely eliminated spam on my blog. Let me repeat this… I eliminated 100% of spam on this blog! Download
- Conditional CAPTCHA – This requires Akismet to work. My regular readers will never see a captcha on this blog before they can post. However, if someone were detected as spam by Akismet, they will be displayed a captcha to prove that they are human. If they are human, then the comment gets through and goes to spam moderation. Every single one that has gotten through and into spam moderation has been real humans, and the bots that used to post a ton of crap on this blog cannot penetrate the system. Convinced yet? Download
- Contact Form 7 – I have used other plugins. There was one that had to be updated manually, and that sucked horribly. But when I switched to Contact Form 7, I have not used anything else. Every form you see on this blog uses it. If you contacted me above through my contact page, or my services pages, you will see this plugin in action. You can create multiple forms with multiple requirements. It’s great! Download
- Comment Reply Notification – It truly sucks when you are blog hopping, and you comment on a blog that does not have a simple checkbox allowing you to subscribe to comment replies. I like to know when someone responds to something I said on a blog. It allows me to come back and comment again to carry on the conversation. As a blogger, you should have the motive of increasing your comment count, so why would you not have this simple functionality? Download
- Newsletter Pro – I used to use their free version, but it has impressed me so much that I ended up upgrading to Newsletter Pro. It was well worth the investment. I see so many newbie bloggers signing up with a 3rd party subscriber service, and I want to slap them. Why? Because if they stop paying the monthly fee, they no longer have subscribers. I control my entire list, and I send out newsletters directly through WordPress. No 3rd party will ever have access to my list, and my subscribers appreciate that because technically those services are a way of “sharing personal contact details with a 3rd party”. This plugin is more advanced than any one of those services anyways. Why downgrade when you aren’t even getting a great service? Download
- OIOPublisher – Just like I control my list, I love to control my advertisements. This badass plugin allows me to place banners of any shape and size or text ads, ANYWHERE on my blog. It also automates the sales of ad slots through PayPal and other payment processors. This isn’t a free plugin, but it is cheap. And if you use my December 2010 coupon code XMASGIFT-EXCHANGE you will get $10 off. Download
- SexyBookmarks – This badboy allows every one of my posts to have maximum exposure to social networks and social bookmarking websites. As a matter of fact, I invite you to use it below, and submit it to every site you have an account with Download
- WP-UserOnline – I am a crazy man when it comes to statistics. And I like to know when there are people on my blog, and what posts/pages they are checking out. This plugin allows me to see visitors in real time. It also shows me what’s popular right now because I can see what articles they are reading and sharing. Download
- Smart YouTube – I occasionally reference a YouTube video in my articles. When I do that, I want it to be as simple as possible. With this youtube plugin, I can easily insert a video by just linking to it and placing a V after the http. Example httpv:// then the URL will display the video in your actual post. This is cool stuff, and simple for anyone to use. Download
- Page Links To – I am using this plugin, and you didn’t even know it. See my navigation? Notice I have a free forum here on my site. That is not a forum through WordPress. It is another php script running the forum. But I linked to it through WordPress in the navigation without touching php code! I did this with the Page Links To plugin which allows you to link to anywhere in your navigation like you would a WordPress page. You create a page, then change it’s destination to the URL of your choice! Download
There are tons of other great plugins like I said, but I didn’t list them here because that would sort of defeat the purpose of a top 10 list. I hope my vital wordpress plugins list has helped you, and I will continue to share my resources with you in the future.