I wanted to make this a list post, but then quickly decided that I have no idea what all I will come up with. Most likely, it will be more than the number I would have listed. The funny thing is that I came up with the title and post idea in a split second. I never think my posts through and then decide to write. I go to the post-new page, and then an idea comes to me. Strange I know.
Anyway, I write this as I listen to the Rock station on music.yahoo.com radio page. As a matter of fact, a song that was playing made me come up with the topic on ideas for creativity. The reason it just clicked is because of my background as a songwriter and recording artist with BMI. I can tell you that the first idea for creativity is to use music.
Music tends to bring out the creativity in all of us. It stirs up emotions in us that nothing else can. Suicidal people use music to give them the courage to carry it out, or to make them think hard and change their mind. How do I know this? Nevermind.
Back when I was a teenager, I remember standing on the enclosed porch at my grandmother’s house and there was construction going on outside right across the street. The loud noise actually somehow created a rhythm and melody. I stood there and wrote songs in my head, and I played them over and over until I memorized the music and lyrics. The problem is that eventually I had to quit making music. With my sorted childhood, and even experienced in my adult life made me suicidal, and the only way to last longer was to quit cold-turkey. I still feel the music inside of me, but am terrified to start writing and recording again. There is a such thing as an overload in creativity.
Use these techniques to give yourself a positive creative outlet, and blogging as well as business will come easy you to like hit songs come easily for me.
Ideas for Creativity
- Music is a major outlet – I already discussed this, but give it a try. Find music that isn’t just some noise to you. Find something that touches your soul, and makes you actually feel something to the point of having vivid details about your thoughts. This is where the really inspiring stuff comes from. Don’t neglect this method. It’s powerful.
- Think about a time, or a person – There may be someone out there that inspires you. Or perhaps it is a time in your life where you can remember in detail how it made you feel. Find that person or time, and translate it to text. Even a place can bring out the best in your creativity. I am from the City of Chicago, but I love a country setting in the outdoors where it’s quiet and you can hear nature. I especially like sitting next to a lake in the grass and watching the tiny waves created by the breeze or a bug.
- Movies aren’t unproductive, they’re reproductive – This will sound sick to some people, but my youngest son was conceived during the watching of Fight Club. I don’t know why, but the movie brang out the freak in us. Damn, I hope my wife don’t read this post… Anyway, there might be a movie that just inspired you somehow. You may have went to the theater one day, and walked out saying “wow”. That type of experience can make you produce some quality content for your blog. …. By the way.. we didn’t conceive the child at the theater. Thought I would mention that before someone asked.
- Create something else – You may be sitting there thinking hard about something to write about, but what if you took out an hour or two and carved something out of a stick and sanded it? Ok, this may not be for everyone, but it was fun for me when I was a child. I know I would like it again if I tried now, and it gives you time to think and be creative doing something completely different. It will give you ideas for your blog.
- List your likes – You can actually list everything you like, just like you would make a list post. Except you aren’t thinking of post ideas. You may be able to take one of the things you really like and somehow turn it into a post by comparison to your niche.
- Take a drive – Fine. I am guilty of contributing to pollution. But I find it very inspiring to go for a night drive with the radio on and the window cracked (or open depending on the season). I also love to drive in the rain. Something about that drive really makes me think. I actually conceived an algorithm that would beat Google in relevance if I were to develop it, and I came up with it during a 30 minute drive. Take that PHDs!
- Play in the rain! – Some people really hate the rain. But for some reason, I am obsessed with it. When it rains, I get excited. I want to play in it. Or at the bare minimum, I will pull up a chair and sit under some roofing while it pours. It’s great!
I hope these items really gave you some ideas. They are things I use all the time, and if you read my blog regularly, then you know they work. Got ideas? Feel free to share them with others below!